My Sharp 770SH

Deciding to buy one or working out how to use one? Find out how a Sharp 770SH can work for you.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bluetooth for the Sharp 770SH


Just how cool is Bluetooth? Very cool. And how cool is using Bluetooth with your Sharp 770SH? Out of this world cool.

As a mobile phone amateur I’ve previously had no experience of using Bluetooth devices but since I got started with the 770SH I've discovered that a basic grasp of how it works is really essential.

Important actions like transfering data, be it music, video or whatever, is dependent on the Bluetooth function. If you want to send data from your handset to another phone or a computer, or any other type of Bluetooth device this is the method you'll use.

Ah, ok...there is an alternative but you're not going to like it because it's not at all cool. The alternative is to open up the back of your phone, take out the battery (thus switching it off obviously), remove the memory card, insert the memory card into a reader and then to your PC. And what if you don't have a memory card? (I still haven't bought one yet.) Well you're pretty stuck if you haven't - the data will be on the SIM card and so you'll need a SIM card reader. All that's not very cool is it? And to my knowledge, there's no data cable available for the 770SH (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

To transfer data via Bluetooth you go to Settings>Connectivity>Bluetooth>Switch On, and then pair your 770SH with another device by first searching for other Bluetooth devices and then selecting the one you want to swap data between. From there it's drag and drop of files and folders from My Items.

I've made that process sound long-winded by describing it step by step but once it's set up the two devices can remember each other and then you can swop files between them any time you choose.


What's the drawback to this? For me it was that my laptop, although less than a year old, doesn't have Bluetooth technology. I wanted to do things like share my address book and send pictures and video to be saved then viewed on my hard drive. To overcome my technology short coming I bought a Belkin Bluetooth dongle from PC World for £15. It fits in any USB2 port and takes about 10 minutes to install.

One thing to mention is that I bought a Class 2 device, which is cheaper than a Class 1 but the only difference is the range. 10 metres is adequate for most people. Are there occassions when you'll be 100 metres away from the other device when you want to send data? Maybe, fooling around or perhaps working in the office but I can't imagine mny useful applications for this. Save yourself a few quid I'd say.

I haven't gone into the details of using the Bluetooth in the 770SH, but ask me a question about it and I'll have a shot at answering.

Finally, thanks to the anonymous poster who reminded me of the issue of data tranfer that led to this entry.

15 Comments:

At 1:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you check the speed? It's awful!!
For images like a 240*320 wallpaper, it's fine. For lots of mp3s or 3gp videos, a card reader may be more appropriate.
WHY THERE IS NO DATA CABLE FOR MY SWEET 770SH!!!!!!!!!

 
At 2:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, when you insert the memory card and turn on the phone. The phone will automatically format the card. And you can put mp3s in the directory of
/PRIVATE/VODAFONE/My Items/Sounds & Ringtones/ on your memory card.

However, only mp3s or mmfs on the phone memory can be set as ringtones!!

There is a data cable for this phone as describled on the user guide in the small red vodafone box. And you can visit:

http://www.sharp-phone.com/country/accessories/accessories.php?country=GB&lang=en&product=770

for pics.

 
At 10:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Graham,

Nice hint, you can attach and remove memory card without turning off your 770sh.

Apart from transferring files, you can also establish a Bluetooth Modem connection to access Internet on your laptop.

Regards

 
At 11:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moving mp3s and videos (larger files for that matter) is not ideal with Bluetooth or Data Cable (Although possible). Having only 5MB as an internal memory for multimedia files indicate that this is better used for multimedia taken by the 770sh. For everything else such as a music or video gallery, it would be better stored in a microSD card. Capacity's larger, transfer is faster and the 770sh reads it just as efficiently as it does with its internal memory.

This is of course, just my personal opinion

 
At 2:08 pm, Blogger Graham said...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the information. As Lix and Anonymous say, maybe it is better using the memory card option for transferring data. It seems that convenience is the big issue.

How to get to the bottom of it all? Do a head-to-head test of the Bluetooth, memory card and data cable options. I’ll need some time but I think it’ll be worthwhile to test them all out. Any suggestions?

G.

 
At 2:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! How about posting some sample pictures taken with your Sharp indoors?

I can't find any samples anywhere else, and so far this has been the only place... maybe you could post some?


Thanks!

 
At 12:59 am, Blogger Graham said...

Hi Toni, I'll take some indoor shots especially for you..will look for some interesting subject too.

And Foxx, nice of you to reveal yourself! That's great if you'll do the card reader test. Just leaves us needing one of those much sought after data cables.

 
At 10:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i use my old sharp gx30 data cable it works fine with the 770sh.

 
At 9:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u plug your data cable in why you are on your computer it charges your 770sh. FAB!!!!

 
At 8:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, does anyone know how to transfer MP3 files via bluetooth directly onto the memory card. As you know 'My Items' only has about 5Mb of space and most of my music files are larger than that so won't copy across due to lack of space.

 
At 9:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Anonymous,

You need to install the Bluetooth Handset Manager that came with your phone stored in the CD. When you have done this, check that your 770sh is detected by your PC. When connected, launch File Manager. Select Sounds & Ringtones and then select Memory Card. Choose the MP3s that you want to load and upload to Memory Card destination.

If it fails to transfer in Music & Ringtones, try in Other Documents. This will be a very slow process. Approximate 2.5 minutes per song. I stronly suggest you just get a card reader and attach it to your PC via a USB port. This should speed up the process significantly. A cheap card reader won't set you back more than a £5. Let us know if you are successful.

 
At 3:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
Seems like my phone and bluetooth have separate minds. I can't get My bluetooth and my Sharp 770SH to click. The handset manager will forever try to connect to the phone via bluetooth to no avail. Likewise, when i bypass the supplied software and link it directly to the bluetooth interface, only Obex object push and Voice interface come up as available functions. Things like PIM synchronisaetion etc are N/A. I am running an MSI bluetooth Dongle (USB) v 1.1 could it be because it's not a v2.0 dongle???

Previously i used to use the bluetooth manager to synch another phone (Sony Ericsson 750) with no problems.

Help me please... What's wrong?

 
At 11:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Graham!
Great idea with this blog!! I've been thinking in buying a nem mobile, and the Sharp was one of the best candidates! Actually, I think it's my next phone!! :-)
I just wanted to know one thing: can you send java programs/games to the handset and install them in the Memory Card, instead of the phone's memory? Like you do with a Nokia 6600?

 
At 12:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic usefuls site, keep the information coming. One question, how expensive/where do you find these memory card readers? Is it better to get bluetooth or the card?

 
At 1:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Graham,
thanks for a blog. It's really helpful. Could you, please, specify Bluetooth adapter that you got. I couldn't find any requirements at the Sharp-mobile homepage. I found one at ebay that is "Bluetooth 1.1 / 1.2 Standard" and frequency "2,4 GHz". I'm not sure if it will work. Have you any idea? Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home