My Sharp 770SH

Deciding to buy one or working out how to use one? Find out how a Sharp 770SH can work for you.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Data Cable for the 770SH

From the comments I read here and on various forums, it seems like the data cable is the holy grail of the 770SH. Nobody, Sharp and Vodaphone included, seems to take responsibility for its retailing.

There is a solution that's become apaprent, however. Among others, Foxx notes that:

'The data cable is the same as many vodafone/sharp handsets, like 903sh, 902sh, 703sh, 550sh, GX29, GX30i, etc. I've asked my friends who owns any of them, all negative. None of them has that legendary data cable XN-1DC30.'

Also, Anonymous says:

'I use my old sharp gx30 data cable it works fine with the 770sh.'

My own feeling is that while it might well be okay to use the same cable as ones made for other models, what I want is one that has some reassuring text on the packaging that says, 'For use with the Sharp 770SH'. As an ever protective owner, I'm very reluctant to unite my pure and virtuous Sharp with just any old accessory that comes a-courting.

So anyway, I'm looking to buy a XN-1DC30 data cable now. My question is, can anyone recommend an online retailer I can purchase one from? Preferably one you've used before.

7 Comments:

At 8:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any luck getting a data cable?
I have some questions about this phone.
1. How can I get rid of the vodafone logo on the desktop?
2. Can I transfer games and documents via a card reader? Which formats are supportable?
3. Is there any themes downloadable except from vodafone?
4. Can I remove the shutter sound?
Thanks!

 
At 12:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, nice blog. I got a 770sh recently, and your blog was one of the reasons.

I bought a cheep (12 euro) no-brand USB Data Cable. The box says Model: GX15. It works perfectly well.

BTW, I am not using the Sharp (Mobile Action ) handset manager software, since I use Linux. The openobex software obexftp works well under Linux.

mdeboer
_at_ iua _dot_ upf _dot_ edu

 
At 3:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous. I'm also an anonymous but I will try to answer you.

1. Change the theme, or change the background picture. If you are not talking about the picture and you're talking about the shortcuts, press the shortcuts button next to the music button on your keypad.
2. Games can only be installed via wap, all sharps are like that. About the documents, the 770sh supports XMDF (.zbf) and text documents (plain text, .txt). I have never heard about the XMDF and tried googling info about it, but didn't come up some solid information. I want to convert a PDF into a XMDF, anybody knows how?
3. Don't know, not yet tried downloading new themes.
4. No, you cannot. I read that if you flash it with a certain firmware, you can remove it, but I can't assure you.
Glad I could help.

 
At 7:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help. In the first question, I mean the network indicator on the top center of the screen. For instance, I'm using a 3g sim card on a unlocked 770sh, and there is a '3UK' on the screen. It's not a short cut or a logo on the default wallpaper. Do you know how to remove that one?

 
At 9:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the data cable at the first Vodafone shop I walked into (In Riccarton Mall CHCH). Much harder to pay the $99 required, but as I needed it I got it! Instructions says to download software from www.sharp-mobile.com. Only problem is Vodafone won't tell me how to connect to the internet with it (Their data centre said it wasn't their problem and anyway I would be paying $10 per mb downloaded so I must be stupid)

 
At 9:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - my last post gave the wrong website for sharp. It's www.sharp-phone.com

 
At 4:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 5 Pounds per game in UK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home